Iphone shooting tips?

Oh yah, the white point reduction is a good tip and can be more easily accessed with an accessibility shortcut either in control center or programmed with many presses to the power button. Also I agree that shooting slow motion is best during the daytime and this method will not work at night unless you have the flash on and the subject is close which worked when I was shooting in a cramped dimly lit frat party.

Slow motion I found is the best method since you will be able to catch every detail without the loss of frames which happens at normal recording speeds. Plus it’s way more discreet to record a 10 second vid at 240 frames per second that will will playback in a 40 second slow motion clip then creeping behind the subject for a whole minute at regular frame rates and only get that one minute versus 240 seconds or 4 minutes if you risk recording for that whole minute in slow mo. While 120 fps has a double rate of slowing instead of quadruple at 240 fps and better for lower lit environments since at 120fps, there is more time for the lense to be exposed to light.

8 Likes

@Jammy damn you take the art of capturing to a whole nerd level! I mean that in a good way.

1 Like

For iPhone i used CovertCam But it cost 1€

1 Like

Shot this a while ago, to get the frontal I would just simply walk faster and while I pass by, I position the phone behind me while I’m pretending to adjust my pants

2 Likes

I have tagged posts here with iPhone, I have several comments in them.

Shortcuts!!! (See other posts)
Whitepoint!!! (See other posts)
Do NOT shoot in 4k, reduced quality!
Shoot in 1080 @60fps.
Do NOT shoot High Efficiency, reduced quality!
Shoot in Most compatible
SloMo looks better with higher fps, shoot at 720 @240fps, you can always upscale the quality.
No need to use other apps to shoot anymore, see shortcuts

*added tags to post

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve used the white point trick. Turning down brightness to 0 and turning white point with the accessibility shortcut makes the screen almost invisible (might as well be in normal daylight) I’ll use the other tips, thanks Lizzy.

2 Likes

If you have some good content you’ll be accessing frequently, I’d save it to the files app. Larger files that you don’t access as often won’t immediately load on the photos app. They instantly load on the files app. Do with that what you will

1 Like

I’ve been using the iPhone app Discreet. It blackens the screen and if you double tap it will vibrate to tell you its begun recording and same when you want to stop recording. Works pretty well and it’s under 3 bucks.

2 Likes

Now add the Shortcuts app!!
With one tap of the screen ‘app’, screen goes dark, whitepoint down, volume down, in camera mode of choice! And if you use AirPods, you can use a word or phrase to start them all as well! It’s been great!

3 Likes

Tested doesn’t work for me rather do regular speed videos and stay still and record

1 Like

I usually use an app named SPC, which can make your phone to be dark or display a normal website when shooting.

2 Likes

Ive seen many of your comments and dont seem to be able to do the shortcut and tripple click etc, can you make a post with step by step process? thank you

@OtakuGamingFreak
Here is the Shortcut app settings:

I’ll post the whitepoint soon as I find it

1 Like

@OtakuGamingFreak

Here’s the topic, I explain how to go into settings to create the triple click to adjust whitepoint here:

1 Like

I get the best stuff when I have the wallet case on my phone so you can’t see the screen. I Can literally point my camera wherever I want to see without the screen being an issue.

1 Like

Bump

Use spc camera, its 10 dollars but totally worth it, you can make the screen black or go on pretty much any website, it works like a charm

I have the iphone12, 4k is not as good as 1080. The files are condensed by the device, Apple calls it (High Efficiency). I cannot speak for the 13 or later as far as usage. The file sizes are larger but I don’t think they are large enough - nothing to compare to. If you have another device and can share the details free to. Now, this is strictly for 60 fps which is the minimum I will shoot, makes for the high end looking slo mo videos!! And it just looks right, better, best!!

1 Like

I second spc , its a life saver

1 Like