Making use of the Galaxy Fold (trying)

I’ve been trying with Galaxy Fold. The design might impart an advantage because you can use the hinge can help with discreet aiming. The disadvantage is that the camera is on the right side, so all bets are off for the left flank. Well, unless you’re willing to hold the phone upside down… haven’t tried it yet but I do know a neat trick to force the screen to orient upside-down. For some reason, you can flip the screen upside-down if you rotate the phone while the Audible app is open. Might be a feature or a glitch. It is useful for listening to audio books in bed while prevent the cable from being stressed.

Anyway, I think I just need to get a dedicated mini-cam of some kind. A pen or coat button deal…

I’m just curious if anyone has had success in making use of a phone with an folding screen.

Sometimes I get a glimpse if a good target but haven’t compiled enough quality frames for a single post. Other times I get on the bus and think there’s a cutie to my that only to discover later that it was a non-cute older woman or worse, a dude. Hey, when I see jet black hair and tight pants I expect an Asian girl. If I merely looked I would know better but you know, it’s probably safer to avoid looking at targets. Maybe I’ll have be less strict about that.

2 Likes

Let me know! I’ve been looking into one of those.

Kinda hard to fully grasp the issue. If content is upside down, just rotate it.

Those add on cams are always low quality unless you go RaspPi setup.

1 Like

Didn’t realize people were using RPi for this but it makes sense. They don’t need a particularly special power supply a that’s half the battle. I have so many decenpowerboats banks.

I have a rough idea but I gotta see examples of this. Heck, I can make dual-use of it. Instead of using a GoPro or Garmin camera on a bike I could just use the pi. Also, a while ago I wanted a security system for my bike but didn’t want to pay for a separate data plan.

Anyway, the issue is basically aiming strategy. I have no problem rotating the video in post. I just figure that sitting on a train with an upside down phone could be noticed if someone has a keen enough eye to see the handset speaker’s position. Maybe I merely have take my phone out of it’s protective case. The speaker hole on the case is more distinct while the phone is flat and fairly uniform all throughout. I’ll give it a try.

Upside down would mean that I can have a good aiming arc on both flanks. The general method involves acting like in looking at the screen while folding the screen partially (45 degree angle +/- a few). When I close the phone I can do it in such a way that I get a view of target while slowly panning.

My goal is to be able to get targets from the front and back. The back is comparatively easy. Other angles are understandably elusive for most of the artists of this type.

2 Likes

I don’t know that Rpi is used but it should be considering the cost, support, unlimited designs, and by far the quality with todays gear! Some are not keen on holding a phone and have mentioned bag(s), like a single strap or shoulder type fanny pack. Idk if I need a Rpi type setup, I have thought about it but so used to the phone at this point…

I have plenty of instances with people looking into the camera lens, but not necessarily “caught” besides it adds to the adrenaline. I have used my DSLR cam on occasion, a lower profile type camera, one GoPro, but mostly cell phone and the footage is getting better over time.

The first link, about 1minute in:

This one didn’t know what to think (be sure to check back, I’m posting the vid within minutes of writing this):

3 Likes

The phone itself is good… I picked up a used first gen from a friend so I didn’t pay full-price. Anyway, it has lots of RAM and the 512GB offsets the lack of an SD card slot. Normally the lack of a micro-SD card slot would be big deal to me but the fact is, my last phone has 64GB internal + 256GB SD card that I didn’t fill. I could fill it, the video certainly did it a few times but long videos shouldn’t reside on the phone for eternity anyway.

Back in the day before streaming movies was common or easy, I used to re-encode video to shrink the file for my mobile devices. Sometimes I’d load a bunch of shit that I didn’t end up watching. Now, I only download stuff when I know that I’ll be somewhere without a steady connection where I want to watch movies/tv shows. So my point, the lack of an SD card is very confining at 32GB and even 64GB internal but 512 is (at the moment) the sweet spot. I’ve left the video recorder running too long a few times and I still haven’t ran out of memory, so it’s working out.

Beyond that, the only real issue wit the phone and what is holding these back from being mainstream (every model) is that it is not waterproof like my prior phones. It’s reasonably water-resistant but I definitely wouldn’t dunk it in a pool or bring it into the shower.

1 Like

Careful! None are waterproof, I think. All are resistant up to so many feet!!

I thought about doing something like this Coke bottle pi cam the only issue is fitting batteries + the pi and camera

4 Likes

i have the Z Fold 3 and with the s pen case its semi hard… (giggity) i downloaded an app for background recording at 8k… so far so good… i havnt gotten lucky enough to carch anything worthy of posting lately but my tests show good quality… $1,800 it better fckin have great quality… main reason i got it was for the cam…

1 Like

im blitzed out of my mind… ignore that slip of the finger…

1 Like

Note 8 totally waterproof to a reasonable down to a few feet. Even the S7 Edge was waterproof although I wouldn’t be comfortable immersing that micro-USB port. As for Note 8, it just doesn’t let you used charge cable until the port dries.

Anything 2ith ip68 certification is food up to 4 feet for 90 minutes. Tho I saw YouTube vid where a guy placed an s7 edge into a bucket with a and tossed it into a lake for longer. The same gen iPhone couldn’t survive a minute in a fish tank so that’s obviously a no go.

That said, I wouldn’t encourage anyone to test and verify their phones are waterproof. My old s7 edge (I keep my old phones) has cracked glass on the back so it wouldn’t survive under water. The Note 8 on the other hand, I still use it for YouTube and audio books (really) in the shower.

I do use light Otterbox on the Note because if falls, I don’t want it cracking in the shower. I’m also a huge fan of tempered glass screen protector. If replaced after every crack, they can very effective at preventing the actual touchscreen from cracking.

That’s my 2 cents on the matter but it is good and smart to not trust the marketing snd sales people.

1 Like