The origins of Leggings Trend

Does anyone remember when this started to become a thing?

What started it? Why did it become so widespread… to the point where I now see girls of all ages wearing them as if they are pants.

Who is the propagator of this cultural shift?

15 Likes

I’m with you. I’m more curious to see if it is a fad in ten years.

2 Likes

I feel like the transparent leggings or something more extreme will be the trend then.
I dont see things progressing backwards lol

Especially since 48% of women are projected to be single by 2030

4 Likes

I remember it started with “yoga pants” like back in early 2000’s

5 Likes

As a long time candid lover, I agree with @LeonBlack .
Yoga pants was definitely the starting point for the leggings trend.
But before this current trend, we used to have some wonderful “thong slips” or “whale tails”. I do miss those, but not sure I’d trade the current insane slut factory we’re being spoiled with now to go back.

2 Likes

I think this started in the early 2000’s I remember the “Juicy Couture” track suites and the “Pink” brand yoga pants. Every girl that wanted to be “cool” wore these outfits and brands. Same time as the Ed hardy clothing lol glad that didn’t stay around.

1 Like

I hope it still will be.

Boy I miss whale tails. Guess VTLs will have to do

I remember the yoga pants phase as well. I just think it has gotten ridiculous cus you see old women, fatties and kids in leggings now. Prime ass has always found a way to show itself off.

Now I feel like ugly women are using leggings as an easy way to boost themselves up a few points.

3 Likes

It started in the 10’s I’d say on social media. Girls went to the gym and posted selfies wearing leggings. New fabrics and styles have reinforced this trend. I totally love it and I wouldn’t wanna go back to the era of when leggings were cheap and only worn at home for house cleaning when no one was watching. I like that many girls are much more self-confident these days thanks to this trend and that curviness is considered an asset rather than a burden.

4 Likes

When it is -5 out I don’t understand how they can be comfortable.

1 Like

That does make all the difference in most cases! You wouldn’t use a 90s cell phone today either.

The funny thing is, leggings for a while now have been associated with winter fashion. Its always a jacket, leggings and Ugg boots. But its true, leggings are made of thin fabric and that can’t be good in that type of weather.

Late 2010’s

some leggings have thicker fabric and have insulation for warmth. many of them are actually quite warm, even if thin

1 Like

It was a thing in the 90s but women often wore long blouses to cover up the details. Left a bit to the imagination but you can see a big ass protrude through the back of a blouse bottom.

Ive started going out to certain places in gray sweatpants. They actually do keep me warm, closest thing ive tried to wearing leggings. Girls love the gray sweatpants

1 Like

The difference is that in the 80s those outfits were confined to the home or gym. I do think it was in the 2000s when yoga pants became popular fashion with women who didn’t do yoga and it spread from there.

3 Likes

I think its a way of fooling a lot of lesser men that these women are in better shape than they really are.

Leggings can make a 4/10 go to like a 6-7/10

2 Likes

Leggings started in late 80s but boomed more so when they were often paired with the sweater in the mid 90s. IDK when the sweater came off exactly but my guess would be mid 00s but definitely picked up and commonplace outside the gym by mid 10s.

2 Likes

You’re right. Sometimes you can see how all of the fat is pulled to the back. It makes the spine appear as a linear depression.