Best Techniques For....Outdoor Swimming Pools/Parks?

Now, you’re kind of restricted with these places since you’ll just be in your swimming shorts etc with nowhere to hide the item (unless you’re a genius at somehow concealing it in your shorts lol!). So what items would you use to get some shots?

Are there any techniques you can think of/that you’ve used that would be successful? I’ve seen some pics/vids of someone getting some great shots but i can never work out what they’re using. Would a Go Pro be the best bet here since they’re waterproof? Is walking around with a Go Pro too suspicion-arousing or would you say most people don’t give a damn?

4 Likes

Find a chair bring some sun screen, press record button on phone, put the bottle of sunscreen behind the phone hiding the screen. Walk around get s few shots or just sit down.

1 Like

I’ve seen waterproof cellphone cases on Amazon. They usually have clear plastic screens so you could keep the phone recording while you have the waterproof case around your neck.

1 Like

The move I always use is to have a drink in hand and then put the phone in my hand while holding the drink be it a soda or energy drink… especially for resorts with alcoholic drinks makes it even easier… Sometimes people give me the eye like i know what your doing but most people just know you have your hands full and its easier to carry it like that with no pockets

2 Likes

I dont think holding a phone or go pro is appropriate in a public / community swimming pool. But for any other scenario, like at a resort or park, holding phone on one hand, and holding something else in another hand generally work, because the other hand is just a misdirection. Also wearing sunglassses would be great in those cases too.

Using an android phone - I use a secure folder which is pin protected.

I installed Background video recorder and did all the settings on it. Which also has a nice feature of record when opened. It natively records even when the screen is locked.

I also installed Activity launcher app

The activity launcher lets me put an innocent looking icon (Dex/System settings/whatever) on the desktop and redirect it to the recorder app. So now I hit my recorder app, lock my screen and if anyone look all they see is a black screen. In general when people get a lil sus I make a small motion and let them “see” thaat screen is off while never pressing a button. I do a lot of blind shooting and got used to getting shots by feel. Dont get me wrong I missed some prime candids sometimes, but its safe.

The activity launcher just makes it quicker and easier to access the app instead of going to the folder everytime etc.

Oh that won’t look suspicious at all…

1 Like

For underwater shots you can put your phone (if it’s water proof like most newer iPhones) just in your waist band while recording where the camera is out just enough to stick out. Very hard to even tell a phone is there. That’s at least what I’ve done

“I’m protecting my phone from getting a computer virus.”

Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit made a movie about a guy like that…Check out the movie “Fanatic” with John Travolta.

1 Like