I wanna start taking candids and need help!

How do you guys hide your phone in a way that the subject and the people around me won’t see or notice what I’m doing?

How do you guys hold your phone steady while walking behind a subject while keeping your phone hidden?

Do you guys just video your subject and then just take some screenshots off the vid? because I don’t get how you can actively take pictures while keeping everything hidden.

And lastly, do you guys just look at your subject through your camera while you take the vid, and if so, is it suspicious looking?

Thanks for any help!

7 Likes

I only do videos & then screenshot

8 Likes

Hold your phone in your hand normally !! Always act natural and stay calm, don’t look at your subject while capping her, at least not directly but try not too. Turn you’re phone brightness all the way down, if you have iPhone, go to settings and find “reduce white point” add that to your phone shortcuts so you’re quick with it, and lil trick I got if you’re walking behind a subject and you have a belt on, with the same hand you have you’re phone in, grab you’re belt and act like you’re fixing it kinda tug on it lightly but grab onto it, and you’re camera lenses should be pointing at you’re subjects ass while you’re doing this, takes a bit of practice to point it right into a good shot, nothing too hard tho and if you wanna take pics you can use that trick. Also for pics, you can click on your volume buttons to take pics, practice keeping your hand as still as possible when capping. ALWAYS always act and look natural and calm !!!

9 Likes

If I’m behind them I honestly just hold my phone sideways at waist height in front of me while recording keeps it stable and if anyone or the subject were to look at my direction it’s easy to move my phone back to my side as if I’m walking with my phone. Also confidence is key and 100% don’t be eying the target you know it’s there let the camera do the looking

2 Likes

Narc

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah i though about that, i tried holding mine upside down but my thigh kept hitting my camera and throwing it off, thanks for the help

Thanks for the comprehensive tips! Ill definitely try the belt thing and the reduce white point

I’ve started trying myself but if you just hold your phone at normal chest height, then the angle will be downward if you’re shooting ass. The best caps I’ve seen are always at the height of the subject, aka ass height. Now i can’t find a way to hold my phone upright at ass height, does anyone know how you can do that?

Pretend youre taking a selfie

Use the search bar, this question has been posted quite a few times before

Most importantly: don’t follow for too long. Get what you can and move on. If the same target happens to come back to you, at a store for example, do your thing again

don’t start it’s addictive

4 Likes

It’s definitely addictive I love it

1 Like

the next time you go out to target walmart etc, look around for people who are walking around with their phones in their hand.

do they look suspicious to you?

no right?

WELL CONGRATS, you are now one of them.

also a tip i learned on here a long time ago, capping is like any skill, you suck at first, but with some practice, it actually gets good. start with UGLY ducks at first, so you dont really care about the cap, just get your angles right. Theres way more ugly or regular people out there, so you can get tons of practice in every day.

SO when you do come across a golden goose, youre able to capture them easil.y

1 Like

Few posts down - veterans guide to capping. Make that your textbook and you will do fine.