Just can't get the hang of phone pics!

I’ve always used a camera for pics but really want to start to get some decent phone pics, The problem I have is that I find it clumsy using a phone. Everything I try I either miss the subject totally of I’m moving the phone so much the vids and pics are useless.

For the life of me I just can’t get anything decent by using a phone.

I know it takes practice and time but after 6 months I’d hoped I would get better results.

Any tips please?

2 Likes

Body language and a confidence goes a long way. Now don’t get too confident but if you see a potential cap be quick, try to get the shot and move on. Put your best effort first and like I said if it doesn’t pan out move on. Sadly everyone has different luck, you’ll just need to go in strides.

6 Likes

Gotta approach steadily and come to a stop. Need the phone to be still or close to still. Lighting is huge. Sometimes you don’t need to be as still because good lighting but always try to hold phone still, take videos in your room/ house and try to point at things while moving, being relaxed and pretending to browse with your other hand etc.

4 Likes

Also what phone

Galaxy A33, Nothing special but it’s got a decent cam, Thanks for the tips will persevere.

2 Likes

You gotta try the camera setup in the Samsung Galaxy S series phones, top notch :fire:
Used to have a S20+ which is 3 and a half years old now and camera quality has gone down. Trying to upgrade to S23 ultra, best ever camera phone so far. I tried a demo phone, all i could only imagine was capping hot subjects :heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

The biggest thing I’ve learned with the phone is, like others have said, is keep it steady. Work on breathing through your nerves, that should help calm you a little. Also, if it makes you nervous to where you shake or move a lot, try doing it while you’re looking at something you genuinely may want to buy or talk about or whatever. Genuine is the key so if for some reason you do get called out, you actually have an excuse. Once you can get down a system that works, you don’t need to be so concerned with how genuinely you’re looking at products or other things.

2 Likes

Phone to side holding it sideway and slightly angled so camera points up and video r3cord not pixtures

1 Like

I’ve been capping for many years now and I still have good and bad days as far as caps go. Sometimes the angles or timing just aren’t in your favor. You just have to move on and keep trying to improve your techniques which ever you choose.

4 Likes

Auto fps or lock at 60 for iphone?

Personally, 60fps is where it’s at. Makes for perfect slomo and no jumping of video

2 Likes

I’ve gotta agree with @Lizzy here. I’ve messed around with the fps and keeping it at 60 works best for me. The better quality video, the more space it’ll take up so just be prepared for that too. I’ve been slowly piecing together how to store all my stuff when my phone doesn’t have enough storage. Just something to think about.

2 Likes

Get two backup drives, one for constant use and the other to hide somewhere-known as cold storage. Thank me later.
Personally, I’d get a MyCloud ($180, 4tb), auto backup and move files around into folders, fairly seamlessly!! I’ve used them for years.
If you got more money, step it up to an upgradable option something like a Synology. So many options available, lots of apps, and by your own HdD.
These are options I started with and had their issues, but they work.
Say no to Google, iCloud, MEGA, Amazon, and all the rest

2 Likes