Problem with background camera apps and solution

There’s a pretty nifty background camera app for Android that is easy to install with obtrusive ads. Sometimes it fails to record or says its not recording when it really is (thereby resulting in me accidentally stopping the recording when i need it most.

Folding phone broadens my options and methodology a bit but even when all is going well, there is another caveat. The background video recorder does not have automatic image stabilization. This is an area where the stock Samsung camera app excells.

Good news, you can run the Samsung camera app in the background (sort of) if your device supports multi-window. Basically you launch the app by dragging it from the side-panel drawer to the center or the sceeen. Then you can switch to video mode, resize the app window, and iconify the app while it continues to run and record.

To iconify a running app and it myst be in “windowed mode”. From there you the double-arrows thst should appear facing each other diagonnaly in a button at the top of the floating app window.

Just started using. So far the biggest issue is that it will stop recoding if I fold the screen shut (from tablet-size to using the small outer screen). This could be prevented by starting the cam from the small screen which is probably the best idea. I can still run youtube on while recording!

As much as I had hoped to capitalize on the folding sceen because it allows me to aim the camera while the screen is folsed at 45-degrees, it may ultimately be best tl initiate the camera in small-sceen mode. This issue is irrelevant for people with out folding screens.

5 Likes

This sounds like helpful details for android users. Added tags for people to reference quicker.

1 Like

In Samsung camera, Iconifying the app stops the recording though.

2 Likes

Yes, I just came back to this post to add this correction.

Sorry for the misinformation… I fooled myself with wishful thinking but noticed that I was was wrong when I tried it today. Yet I remember being so sure when I wrote this post but it’s clearly wrong. Even if there was an intermittent fluke, it couldnt be counted on.

However, I am able to record with the Samsung camera app in “pop-out” mode (floating window), shrink it, and drag the winow below the bottom edge. It continues to record while only seeing the top-sliver of the window sticking out from the bottom-edge.

I’d still like to find a way to run a background camera app with image stabilization, but the aforementioned method is as good as it gets for the moment.

P.s.- I still can’t help but think it did work before my recent reboot. I usually do that if the phone acts a little funny or if the battery gets drained to the bottom.

I will revise this post with corrections afrer some testing. It’s partially true but there is a major error.

1 Like

Use an app called spy camera OS just search on google SCOS download & install it the app is very useful

2 Likes