Risks of Uploading Content?

Greetings folks… I had a general question for you…

Let’s say someone had some content they felt like they should share with this community. Are there any inherent risks (legal ramifications) with uploading content?

I assume it’s best to blur out any identifying information, obscure as much background as you can.

But I wasn’t sure if feds were scouring, checking ip addresses, stuff like that… LMK, asking for a friend…

8 Likes

Great question. There are always risks posting things on an open forum such as this, which is why moderators can be tough on certain content. We do our best to make sure illegal content is not posted here, but it’s up to you to make sure that the content you post is legal where you live.

That being said, here are some guidelines to follow:

1. No under clothing (up s k i r t s).

2. No children or miners. All content must be 18+

3. All content posted here MUST be taken in public places only. Do not post content that is taken on or in private property or wherever there would be an expectation of privacy. For this reason we do not allow the blurring or removing of backgrounds. We must be able to understand the context of the photos to make sure they comply with this rule.

4. No blurred backgrounds (see above).

5. No stalking subjects, discussions of groping or raping subjects.

6. Do not post any information which could lead to the identification of a subject, or of the shooter…including social media names or filming locations.

7. All content posted here must be candid, no social media pics, posed content, or staged content.

8. No harassing other users.

Lastly, exercise good judgement. This forum is open to the general public, so you can assume that feds, white knights, social justice warriors, or bad actors may be present at any time.

5 Likes

Y’all need to help us keep this place alive. Flag any content you see that violates the posting rules or the spirit of this forum.

9 Likes

Here is a good thread discussing the legality of candid photography:

1 Like

I haven’t received anything yet…when did you send it?

1 Like

It’s been said a lot on this forum, but don’t shit where you eat. Don’t cap anywhere you might face real consequences or repercussions. I personally think these shooters at gyms, colleges, and workplaces are crazy for sharing them, but also their shots are usually good. You don’t wanna be labelled a creep at your workplace, or anywhere else. Just don’t get caught, and don’t share photos from said places if you intend on capping regardless of these warnings. Or atleast that’s my perspective, I’m not some authority lol.

4 Likes

It’s common sense…

There may not be legal consequences, but there could be social consequences. All it takes is one angry SJW to ruin your life. All of us are one angry Karen away from ending up on the next viral tik tok being confronted and shamed.

5 Likes

Awesome advice and information for real… Ethically, I am all for your all’s guidelines and suggestions.

Didn’t cross my mind about the social aspect, interesting to think about though.

We shall see if the benefits outweigh the risks…stay tuned

1 Like

Content thieves are always lurking. They snatch up content and repost it elsewhere, either to make a profit or to claim it as their own.

Sad, but that’s the risks you take on an open forum.

1 Like

So serious question and I’m not trying to be mean or judgy.

Isn’t candid capturing stalking anyway. I mean there’s tons and tons of pictures here that the photographer are following their subject around stores. Some even follows them to the parking lots. I haven’t flagged any sets because I thought this is a given. What am I missing about this rule?

I’m just curious. I’m not trying to be a jerk.

I don’t see a problem with casually following a subject for a few minutes, but some guys take it to the extreme. Following a subject to her car is definitely crossing the line. It’s a situation which could cause fear and panic in the subjects, and is definitely crossing into illegal territory.

We should be observing, not causing our subjects to feel afraid or endangered. That being said, we will not encourage that behavior or condone it here.

4 Likes

Simple answer, yes, there’s always a risk.

It’s best you get acquainted with not only the rules of the forum, but the laws of your country and municipality. There’s no blanket answer that covers everything in regards to shooting candids, as there is ambiguity from country to country, state to state. Just know it’s a hobby you should be careful with.

Also know that, much like the internet, once your content is out there, it’s out there. There’s no time machine you can jump into and take your stuff back once you put it out - I believe a lot of people gloss over that. So, don’t be an idiot.

Here’s some common risks.

Being caught and confronted.
This becoming an obsession.
Being blacklisted from stores/areas you frequent
Being shamed and exposed on social media by your subject or bystanders. (viral video)
Somebody you know, or your subject, coming across your content.
Being reported to authority.

2 Likes

I’ve had to reject dozens of posts because the guy uploaded pictures of himself, or of screen shots from his work timesheets, or mirror shots.

Be careful when mass uploading…make sure you know what files you’re including in that photo dump.

1 Like

+1

I have many hot stuff I plan to upload - but I need to blur things/surroundings out then, otherwise it’d be too risky to recognize the city where I live.

Selective blurring is ok, but we ask that you leave enough context so that we can determine that your posts are following our rules about content being shot in public places only.

@creepster078 if you’re worried about people recognizing you from the public places you shoot at then you really shouldn’t be posting here at all. For your own safety.

1 Like

Also…how many people live in your city? There have to be more than enough to prevent you from being singled out…

Or is it that you shoot from your place of work or someplace you frequent? I think that’s a really bad idea. Don’t shit where you eat.