Taking candids from inside parked car w/ telephoto lens on SLR camera?

Hey all, I searched first but didn’t find a discussion about my subject here. I have a Canon EOS M5 with a 75-300mm telephoto lens on it. I’m thinking I could just park near the entrance of some place and snap away without far less risk that walking around with my phone out. Thoughts?

7 Likes

That’s exactly what I do most of the time.

14 Likes

But wouldn’t you have to do that from a vehicle with extremely tinted windows? Otherwise ppl will notice you with that big camera which raises a lot more suspicion than a phone does.

3 Likes

By any means go ahead, just make sure you have dark tints and if you don’t and get caught. Just you’re a P.I / Private Investigator

4 Likes

Nice! Would you say dark tinting is necessary or just a nice-to-have? Any tips?

I think you would be wasting the zoom. Shooting through car glass can lead to distortions and haze that can ruin good shots.

In addition, you’re going to look suspicious as hell. It’s better to find a public place that has a good vantage point and snipe your photos from there.

7 Likes

Shooting from your vehicle is a bad idea because you can be easily be identified by your registration/plate number if a do-gooder reports you.

6 Likes

Thanks. I’m just considering other options. I would be discrete, of course. As much (or even more so) compared to with a phone inside.

Good points. I may give it a shot for the hell of it and see what it’s like.

Not as much as I’d like.

1 Like

Candids can be risky, but this just sounds like a bad idea. Just use your phone get a hip clip. I’ve mentioned it on the site before. Safest method imo.

3 Likes

This method provides the best results, your placement will depend on angles etc. both the phone and the DSLR have to be the best options. Others use movie cams and follow as well

*Angles depend on your placement

Absolutely the larger cams have better results. My 1080 dslr gets 32mb file pics, the best my phone has done is 9-14 on a bright sunny day. Cameras are still better than phones. Actually getting candids is more like developing a craft, just depends on which device you use.

You can get great shots from the car. You need a really sunny day to get the best shots but then you can become more noticeable too. I tend to crack a window and keep the camera further back so that it’s not up against the glass.

6 Likes