Candid Photo Tips

Shooting Techniques

In this section, I list the various shooting poses I use, discuss why I like each pose, and rate the poses for getting different types of shots.

1. Scratching the Elbow

This pose is really useful and it looks really natural. Basically, you want to pretend to scratch your elbow with one hand while holding your phone with the other. This method is what I use for 90% of my photos. Your hands should look something like this (pretend there’s a phone in their right hand):

This is by far my favorite shooting technique. If you’re bold enough, you can use it to get real up close and personal with your subject, like this:

You can also use it for full-body shots from a short distance away:

2. The Backpack Strap

For this method, you must be wearing a backpack. Pretend to use the straps to hold the backpack up; hold your phone in either one of your hands.

This shot is really similar to the first one, but is less efficient since you need to be wearing a backpack. Here are a few shots I’ve taken using this technique:

3. The Shirt Pocket

Self-explanatory. Stick your phone in the pocket on a shirt. A little suspicious, but you can get nice photos. This one is really good for cashiers and other store workers.

shirt

Here are the types of shots that I take with this method:

4. The Phone Call

This one is alright. Basically, you pretend to take a phone call; secretly, you’re filming. I’ve gotten decent shots with this method but it’s hard to get a good angle and you have to pretend to talk on the phone. This technique can be useful for very specific situations but really is not my favorite.

phone

5. The Desk Phone

The only thing this technique is good for is taking candids of cashiers. Basically, you just set your hand and phone down on the desk, phone pointing towards your subject. Here are a couple of shots I’ve gotten using this method:

kai.PNG

How to Not Get Caught

It is really easy to not get caught. Everyone in today’s world has a phone, so the majority of all women will not react at all if they see you holding yours. My biggest tip is act natural and confident! These techniques I described are natural looking ways of holding your phone. Never point your phone straight at them unless you’re absolutely sure no one can see you or you deliberately want to be caught. If you do get called out, deny it until your last breath. Everyone has a phone after all, and just because you’re holding one doesn’t mean you were using it to take pictures, especially if you’re holding it in a way that looks natural.

General Tips

1. Know when to accept your losses.
This was the hardest part for me. I used to try and get a decent photo no matter the costs, and it once ended really horribly. Some subjects will simply be impossible to get a good photo of. Learn how to tell when you’re not going to get a good shot and GTFO!.

2. Act Natural
This might be hard for some people, including me. When talking to cashiers or workers, try and make natural conversation. It will draw focus away from your camera. When you’re walking behind someone, don’t look at your phone and try not to look at your subject. Just like it’s rude to point, it’s a bad idea when you start to point your camera.

3. Don’t Focus on One Subject for Too Long
Try not to follow a subject for more than a few minutes. Trust me, when the guy who was walking behind someone follows them around the mall and into multiple stores, it looks a little suspicious. Get your good videos and photos, and then GTFO!

4. Hide the Screen
Use an app or simply turn your brightness all the way down when taking photos. Your subject might not see but people behind you will definitely notice.

Best Areas for Candids

1. Target
    Target is probably the best place for taking candids. College-aged girls and expensive products combine to make the perfect melting pot of rich, vain, and attractive shoppers. Also, it must be a store policy to hire the most beautiful cashiers and workers you’ve ever seen.

2. The Mall
The mall is similar to target in that it’s filled with self-absorbed women trying to spend as much money as possible. This usually means they’re attractive - expect lots of blondes in leggings! There are also multiple different stores, each one with different employees. Pro tip: try Forever 21, Aeropostale, and H+M for the most attractive workers.

3. Wal-Mart
Wal-Mart is nice because there are always lots of subjects to choose from; however, you’re going to have to dig deep to truly find any good ones. The workers are usually hotter than the shoppers.

4. Out in Public
Take a walk on the wild side; catch some fresh air and hit up downtown for lots of good opportunities.

Other Thoughts

Overall, I hope using this guide increases your confidence and quality. Let me know if any of these techniques work for you, and definitely share the photos you take using my tips. As a last note, asking employees which way the restroom is always makes for a nice shot:

Good luck and happy shooting!

201 Likes

Thanks helps a lot for the newbies here. I’ll defiantly be using the backpack and the elbow itch methods. never would have come up with those my self

2 Likes

Wow. Very interested in where you live.
The Targets in my area are filled with uglies.

Absolutely love the shot of the busty milf. at her desk.

Second only to the busty milf you captured at target.

Another tip that could be useful after covid. Go to your local university or community college. Go to the department of architecture. They will always have open-air discussion when a group of students walk with the lecturer around several images/presentations. Stay at the back and mix in. It’s literally free shooting (especially with a bag or belt cam).

Thank you guys for this website!

5 Likes

Nice collection of tipps and hints. Thanks.

2 Likes

The are

The locations will vary!!

My wal Marts is where I would go to take snaps of disgusting people, Target is next door.

Malls here are garbage so it doesn’t attract anything worth snapping. Home Depot has some fine looking women working there!!!

Dicks is always good, or the like.

1 Like

As you gain experience and snap away, be sure to review the work to see where things may have gone better. Sharing with others is what I prefer but when posting for all to see, consider the content.

• Save the blurry pics as practice to reference

• The color black is really hard to creep successfully and should be avoided until your skills have improved.

• The closer the pics the better. Far away creep shots are typically not clear.

• Quality over quantity.

(OPINION) when posting snaps:
The subject matter MUST to be something that people are going to want to see. Your creeps need to be exciting, sexy, funny etc. in order for people to like it. Not every Plain-Jane ass is creep worthy.

14 Likes

Very good tips! Thank you for sharing

1 Like

you did amazing explaining this i’ll refer this timbre comers

Was talking to a friend of mine about taking pics. If you have an Iphone and apple watch. Your able to control your Iphone and take pics with it. I believe video as well but haven’t tried. Seen vids on youtube. Could always have your phone with a clip on your belt with the camera part facing outward. Might be able to have your phone setting someplace then activate when target is near. Less obvious if your looking at your watch. No one really assumes your taking shots while messing with your watch. Could also have it on an arm strap if your working out. This might help to get more interesting shots. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

The QuickDraw is always a great test and sometimes with great results!!!

You lay sights on a capture, the current situation couldn’t be any worse of circumstance, and the subject begins to near…

You break out the device with a short prayer requesting perfect movements as you decide which setting will provide the best results and begin to swipe performing all the correct actions at lightning speeds as the line of sight takes place all while actively participating in a real-life interaction and hoping in the back of your mind the results turn out as you can only wish for…

3 Likes

Lol so true! That short prayer of “please please please let this be a good shot!” Sometimes you get the best shots in the world and other times it’s a complete miss… best not to dwell on it though

5 Likes

Another good store is Kroger. At least the one near me has good quality. I personally use the phone call method as it is practically impossible for anyone to really suspect you. Also I have a phone cover that covers the screen so it’s never seen. A tip I would give is wait for the person to get in the checkout line to get the best snaps.

3 Likes

Locations are solely based off environment and the results you’re looming for.

You go to the beach for bikinis, but the more private spots will have the ones that don’t wanna be seen - might find a diamond in the rough.

You go to a festival to see ass hanging everywhere and sometimes need to maintain focus, kinda like the beach.

You got to the mall for, well, who the fuck knows anymore but you can always find something. Now, there are NJ ‘malls’, NY ‘malls’, and VA (actual) malls where the people still flock to. And of course the lesser aged.

There’s always good help at Dicks!
I got a thread for that LOL

4 Likes

Yes! I’m gnna say it:
Monster truck shows too!
OMG the shotz I got from one!
My only issue is it is too crowded, it’s not hard if you’re by yourself!! Or a team (I’m assuming)

Thanks for sharing the cheat codes. :+1:t4::+1:t4::fist:t4:

2 Likes

The iPhone/watch does work. But the GoPro/iPhone works even better!!! No you can’t use the watch because GoPro has one, they want you to IT!

Plus the GoPro default setting is to turn off the screen. I just got the 8 so I’m working out the kinks.

Cool didn’t know about the GoPro.

@Guitarscope

QuickDraw is as described 10 posts above

1 Like